Taking Action Towards Your Purpose will Attract Your People
Alexander was true to his purpose and took steps towards authentically building his music career, even though that meant breaking the mold set by the music industry and focusing on communicating a positive message. Because of this, he was introduced to Kuda, and together they founded #ThisIsMyEra. That partnership resulted in a movement, vastly multiplying the amount of impact that Alexander could have made on his own. Be true to yourself, and be open to the relationships that you will build once you’ve committed to your authentic self and core purpose.
Creating a Legacy Means Making Something Bigger than Yourself
For Alexander Star, his legacy is twofold: creating positive music that will continue to inspire generations to come, and focusing on his family. Even though it might seem difficult to juggle a music career while putting family first, for Alexander they go hand in hand. He creates music with his son in mind, and the desire to spend as much time with him as possible is the motivation Alexander needs to maximize his productivity. With this in mind, think about your own legacy: how are your goals bigger than yourself? Who is the inspiration for your hard work?
[1:53] What is #ThisIsMyEra?
[3:09] Introducing Alexander Star.
[4:06] How Alexander uses music as a vehicle for positive change.
[5:13] Alexander’s advice for breaking through as an independent artist.
[6:07] How Alexander Star began his music career in high school.
[7:00] How he made 9,000 CDs by hand and distributed them in NYC, and how that led to an amazing life experience (you’ll want to listen to this story!)
[8:33] The lessons Alexander Star learned while hitting the streets of NYC with his music.
[10:34] How going back to school helped him take a new approach to his music.
[12:41] How taking action in your purpose helps attract positive influences in your life… and the story of how #ThisIsMyEra was born.
[14:30] How Alexander created #ThisIsMyEra, and how it has impacted him as a musician.
[18:00] Bringing #ThisIsMyEra to the Montessori Model UN Conference in Chicago and connecting with kids who were inspired by his music.
[20:20] Alexander discusses his purpose in life - being a good vibes ambassador - and the unexpected opportunities this has created for him.
[24:19] How Alexander balances fatherhood with his music career.
[28:10] How Alexander connects with and gives back to his community through music, and how this eventually led to an Emmy nomination.
[32:19] How to be proud of things that might not feel like successes at first.
[34:04] The advice Alexander would give to people looking up to him in the music realm.
[36:15] Alexander’s vision for #ThisIsMyEra.
Take Massive Action Now:
Spend time working on discovering your gifts and seeking your core purpose.
As Alexander Star points out in this episode, every person is endowed with unique, raw gifts. It’s up to each one of us to figure out what those gifts are and to hone them. Likewise, discovering our core purpose is essential to putting those gifts to use, to creating massive change and leaving a legacy.
Take some time to reflect on your gifts and how these relate to your core purpose. If you’re having trouble, consider the following questions:
- When friends ask you for help, what do they ask you to help them with? If they connect you with another friend, what reason do they give for putting you in touch? How your friends see you is a great way to determine what you offer to the world without realizing it.
Imagine someone you just met asks you “What do you do?” How do you wish you could answer? What would your answer be if you filled in the blank: “I create massive world change by _______.”
What would you attempt to do if you knew you couldn’t fail? Better yet: what do you think is so important that you’d attempt it, even if you were likely to fail?
Turn your dreams into goals.
In this podcast episode, Alexander Star describes a lesson he learned early on in his music career - big dreams have to be broken down into actionable steps in order to manifest them. Sometimes, these steps require skills and knowledge that might be unexpected. In Alexander’s case, he learned that his raw talent and creativity were essential to making great music, but he also had to learn how to create a business plan in order to be successful.
In order to transform your own big dreams into attainable goals, ask yourself:
- What is my biggest dream that harnesses my gifts and aligns with my core purpose?
- What milestones will help me know that I’m on the right path?
- How can I turn that first milestone into a SMART goal? SMART is an acronym stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. (If you need help, check out the 90 Day Goal Planner, which helps you map this out.)
- Is there a skill I’m missing that stands between me and my goals?
- Who do I know that can help me learn, or who I could collaborate with me to make my goal a reality? (Remember, as Kuda says in this podcast, “When you’re taking action in your purpose, it attracts you to other people who are taking action in their purpose, and the two merge to create even more impact.”)
- “Dreams are meant to be turned into goals.”
- “When you’re taking action in your purpose, it attracts you to other people who are taking action in their purpose, and the two merge to create even more impact.”
- “When you make music that’s about something bigger than yourself… your music will live on far beyond your lifetime.”
Connect with Alexander Star on social media:
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/mralexanderstar/ (@mralexanderstar)
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/mralexanderstar (@mralexanderstar)
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/MrAlexanderStar/ (@mralexanderstar)
Listen to Alexander Star’s music:
Connect with #ThisIsMyEra:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThisIsMyEraOfficial/ (@thisismyeraofficial)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thisismyeraofficial/ (@thisismyeraofficial)
Join the conversation across all platforms with the hashtag #ThisIsMyEra